It is important to correct any errors on your SAR as incorrect information can impact your financial aid eligibility.

If the information you entered on your FAFSA was incorrect as of the day you signed the FAFSA, you can make corrections but keep in mind the following things you can’t change:

  • Your Social Security Number (SSN).
    In the event your SSN is incorrect, you must complete an entirely new application with the correct SSN.
  • Your financial information, unless it was incorrect as of the day the FAFSA was submitted.
  • Your marital status, unless it was incorrect as of the day the FAFSA was submitted.

To make FAFSA corrections, use one of the methods described below:

  1. Online FAFSA Corrections.
    Using FAFSA on the Web to make online corrections is the fastest way to update your application. Go to Once login, click the link titled: Make FAFSA Corrections.

    Be sure to have personal identification number (PIN) ready. With your student PIN, you can correct anything on the application except for the student’s social security number (see above).

  2. Paper FAFSA Corrections.
    You can correct any item on the FAFSA with a 10-page Student Aid Report (SAR) which can be generated upon request.
  3. Phone FAFSA Corrections.
    You can add a college to your FAFSA or update your mailing address by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1.800.433.3243. Have your Data Release Number (DRN) ready. You can find it on the SAR in the top right corner of page 1.

Once your correction is submitted and you’ll receive a confirmation number. In typical situation, the correction will be processed in 3-5 days.

Keep in mind that there may be some unusual circumstances in which you personally will not be able update or make corrections on your FAFSA. In such event, you’re advised to contact your school’s Financial Aid Office. Based on your circumstances, your school may be able to reevaluate your application.

Last updated: June 18, 2012 by

Note: The information provided on this site is of a general nature and may not apply to your situation. Contact your financial aid administrator before acting on such information.